This morning I posted the following blog post, happily, that finally my newsletter subscription works. It took me a long time to get this done and follow all necessary steps I was given to make it work again. Of course, I had tested subscribing and unsubscribing before publishing the article. It worked perfectly, which made me publish the article.
And as soon as the post was published I was informed that it does not work.
I’m shocked. This is embarrassing, and I’m extremely unhappy how it turned out. I just wrote an armor-clad email to MailChimp to immediately solve that problem.
I’m contrite and hope you’ll forgive me for publishing something that does not work. I’m sorry.
I’ll keep you updated on the matter.