Please introduce yourself.
My name is Kat Stiles, and I write sexy and fun urban fantasy and sci-fi. I’m originally from Jersey, but now live in Texas. I recently got my USA Today bestselling author letters! It’s been a fun ride so far being an indie author, but I’m just getting started…
1. When did you start writing? I’ve been writing since grade school – little stories here and there, but I didn’t get serious about fiction until around 2010 or so, when I first released Connected.
2. What motivates you to write? Connecting with readers. Finding that one reader who totally gets me and devours all the books in my series in one night. I’m a reader myself, and it’s downright joyful to find an author you love to read!
3. What genre do you write in and what made you chose this particular genre? UF/PNR, and Sci-Fi. I absolutely love superpowers, and everything I’ve ever written, save one morbid short story, has superpowers in it. I’ve been writing more Sci-Fi lately because I love the possibilities there – genetic tampering, alien beings, and political/psychological tension – everything that makes the classics like Star Trek great is there in sci-fi, and when you add superpowers to the mix, it’s even more fun.
4. What is your goal in writing? Do you have dreams where your writing should take you?
My goal is to entertain readers and keep them coming back for me. Sure I’d love to be independently wealthy from it, but my main goal is to provide a world for readers to escape in for a while. That and it would be nice to finally overcome my obsession with comma splices.
5. Do you ever suffer from writer’s block and if yes, how do you deal with it? Not so much writer’s block as procrastination or general laziness. Sometimes I forget how much I love writing and focus on other stuff instead. As for the writing process itself, I tend to do a general plotting outline at the onset, and if I get stuck when I’m writing, I just refer to that, to get back on track again.
6. What advice would you like to give new, hopeful authors? Keep going, finish that book! That’s the first step. And try not to get too overwhelmed once you realize that after the monumental feat of actually completing the book, now you have to edit it. Then once it’s edited, you have to market it, which is a whole different set of skills. Even if you get an agent, you’re still going to have to market it, but if you can join some author groups, get some training, and commit to learning that skill, you’ll be fine. Remember to breathe and take it piece by piece – it takes time to get it all straight when you’re brand new to this business.
7. Please, tell us about your work. I have four major series: Connected, Enhanced, Modified, and The Vampire Cure. Connected are YA superpowers and coming of age. It has two books – Connected and Imminence – featuring three friends and it’s romance heavy. Enhanced has more of a sci-fi superpowers X-men kind of feel. It has one book – A Fated Exception, and a prequel origin story, Spliced, which readers can snag when they subscribe to my newsletter. Modified is a sexy, geeky, super-powered graphic novel in written form. It’s fun and full of curse words! And it’s also my serialized series, meaning each volume is a continuation of the story, like a TV episode. It has five volumes, one novella length book, and an origin story. The Vampire Cure is my latest series, featuring science, superpowers, and vampirism. It’s got a poli-sci-fi feel, so I issued a warning to followers of the last regime here in the US, that they will not be amused. It’s got one book – The Vampire Cure, and the sequel is due out in mid-August. With the exception of the Connected series, my books are sometimes dark and sexy, and fun. I also have a Kindle Vella story called Her Alien King, and it’s a sexy alien sci-fi romance that I’m adding episodes to weekly.
Thank you for being my guest. It was such a pleasure to have you here!!
Thank you for having me, it’s been fun! 😊
USA Today Bestselling Author of Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, and Young Adult Fiction.
Originally a Jersey girl, sunny Texas is where I now call home. I write super-powered urban fantasy that’s sexy, fun and dark. For fun, I like to read urban fantasy, horror, and existentialist fiction, as well as watch cartoons, movies, and sometimes even cartoon movies. I try not to take anything in life too seriously and I tend to smile often. Hop over to my website, katstiles.com for bonus material, fun blog posts, news about upcoming releases, and awesome giveaways!
Connect with Kat
Social Media Links
Check out Kat’s Vampire Cure Series:
In the search for a cure to a viral pandemic, scientist Liz Meyer discovers something far more deadly…Vampires exist.
And what’s even more amazing, they’re immune to the virus.
Liz is both afraid and intrigued. Gifted with dreams that reveal the future, she sees how bad the pandemic will become. A blood sample could be the solution to a cure.
Sexy vampire Ryan awakens a desire within Liz, something she’s never felt before. Too bad the rest of the coven want nothing more than to feast on her blood.
Can Liz get the blood she needs to find a cure? Or will it be her blood that’s taken instead?
Buy the book HERE
Scientist Liz Meyer has to stop the manufacture of a serum that’s created a new breed of vampires. A breed different from her kind and in some ways, more deadly. She makes it her mission to find a way to reverse the effects of the serum, a serum she created. A string of mysterious murders has the police on a witch hunt to find these mutated patients. And the survivors of the coven that turned Liz will stop at nothing to eradicate the impure new vampires. But as Liz gets to know them, she wonders if this new breed is as dangerous as she’d been led to believe. Handsome detective Edgar shows her another side of the collective, and she begins to question her resolve. Was their creation simply a mistake to fix to protect humanity, or could there be something more to it? Liz comes up with a possible cure, a serum that will reverse the vampirism side effects for the new breed. But with the police and other vampires closing in, she may be too late. Can Liz keep the peace long enough to deal with the threat of the new breed?
Buy the book HERE